frequently asked questions
where and when is the conference
The 2024 Storymakers Conference will be held at the Utah Valley Convention Center in Provo, UT on May 9-11th, 220 West Center Street, Suite 200.
How Much Does the Conference Cost?
- In person $285
- Virtual $185
when can I register
Registration for the 2024 conference opens on January 26th, 2024 at 7 AM MT.
Is there an age limit for conference attendees?
Registrants of the conference must be 16 years of age in order to participate. We encourage young writers to consider the following conferences: Teen Author Boot Camp and The Teen Writer’s Conference, all held annually in Utah. Please let us know if we can add a local teen conference to this list!
We will be looking for a small handful of teenage volunteers this year. If you know someone who is interested, have them email us.
Can I bring my kids?
Babies that can be cared for quietly and without disruption to other attendees may attend with a parent. Other children are not welcome. We hope you understand. We love children. We are a committee full of mothers and fathers. But preserving the learning environment of our conference for all paying attendees is paramount. We appreciate your willingness to respect the experience of others by leaving your children at home.
What happens if I need to cancel my registration?
Please visit the Cancellation Policy page for more information.
What are the guidelines and due dates for the first chapter contest?
You can find all the information about the first chapter contest on the website HERE.
Do I have to be a member of the Storymakers Guild to attend the conference?
No. The conference is put on by the guild, but any interested writer is welcome to register and attend.
Do I have to be a published writer to attend?
No. The Storymakers Conference is open to all writers. We offer classes for beginning writers to expert writers.
What meals are provided?
Lunch on Friday and Saturday, and a snack on Thursday (for Thursday Workshop attendees), Friday, and Saturday.
What if I have a life-threatening food allergy?
Please email us with your allergy ASAP.
Why was the LD taken off the LDStorymakers Conference?
- The Storymakers Conference is put on by the Storymakers Guild. The Guild name remains. They’ve talked about having the conference be – The Storymakers Conference – for YEARS, believing that the slight separation would be a good thing. The LDStorymakers Guild is a professional organization of people who are in good standing with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, which is why their name remains. The conference welcomes people of all faiths.
- Using LDS is tricky when we’re part of a conference that makes money (a VERY VERY little, but still). We would hate for a negative incident / speaker / class / disgruntled attendee at this conference to reflect poorly on the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
- Edited in 2019 to add – The leadership of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has asked that members both use the full name of the church, as well as asking private organizations, such as Storymakers, to please refrain from using the name of the church for, or within, the name of their own organizations.
Is it appropriate to bring donuts and chocolate to share with the conference committee?
Of course! You’ll recognize us by the different color lanyards of our name badges.
Why does my registration look different than in past years?
We have switched our registration portal to Cvent. If you have any trouble registering, our registration team is more than happy to help!
Does the in-person conference include online access?
Yes. The in-person ticket will allow you to access virtual classes after the live conference.
Is there a cap on registration?
Yes, and we tend to fill up fast! Our cap this year is 770 for in person. THERE IS NO CAP FOR ONLINE TICKETS.
Am I eligible for a discount?
If you are a presenter or a member of the Storymakers Author Guild, yes. Your guild discount will be emailed to you a week before registration opens IF you are current on your dues. If you register without using these codes, we cannot refund the difference.
Please check the Storymakers Guild website for application/renewal information. You may wait until you have renewed your dues before you register, however, we do anticipate the conference selling out, so if you wait, wait cautiously.
Does the conference offer scholarships?
Yes! Please go here for more information, to apply for yourself, or to donate. Please be aware there is a deadline to apply.
What if I need to cancel my consult with an agent?
You may cancel if you no longer wish to attend, but unfortunately, Agent/Editor Consults are NON-REFUNDABLE.
Please contact our agent/editor coordinators for specific questions regarding your consult with an agent.
Do I have to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to attend?
Definitely not! Many conference attendees have faith in common, but our conference is not religious in nature. We’d love to have you!
How do I get on a waiting list for critiques with an agent, intensive class, or Thursday workshop?
- For critiques with agents: Please email our special guests coordinators.
- For Intensive Classes: If the intensive class you’d like to sign up for is full, please email our Instructions team with an explanation of which class you’d like to attend.
- For Thursday Workshops: If the workshop you’d like to attend is full, please sign up on our Thursday Workshop Waitlist HERE.
Why are the agents/editor critiques non-refundable?
As soon as someone registers (pays) for those sessions, we have people working in the background. Time and effort are put into those slots immediately. We very often have MANY cancellations in the final couple of weeks before the conference – after our committee members have worked hard on the schedule, and adding new people causes issues for registration. Our agents travel long distances to our conference, and we need to make it worth their while. Due to the attendees on agent and editor wait lists, we can’t allow an attendee to give their spot to a friend.
Can I sign up for more than one critique with an agent?
Attendees are allowed only ONE pitch consultation unless otherwise authorized by the conference chairs. Intentional violation of this policy will result in a warning, the additional sessions will be deleted from the account and will not be refunded. Further violations may result in the loss of pitch consultation privileges. Be sure to read registration instructions and the agent critique page very carefully.
What if I need a roommate?
The Storymakers Facebook Group has you covered. They’ll post links with roommate sign-ups, and once they do, we’ll post the link here.
What if I’ve never been to a conference before?
For newer attendees feeling unsure about attending the conference, we’re offering the services of conference guides. Having a guide means a seasoned attendee will assist you in selecting classes best suited to your interests and needs, save you a spot at meals, and introduce you to other attendees also newer to the Storymakers scene. If this sounds like something you’d like, there’s an option for signing up during registration.
Also be sure to join the Storymakers Conference Facebook Group Page, the Storymakers Ink Facebook Group Page, and/or sign up for the conference newsletter. These resources will tell you everything you need to know about attending the conference, including what to bring and how to get the most out of the conference.
How will I find my friends?
We recommend pasting your most recent Facebook or Twitter avatar to your forehead. Please do not use a stapler. We do not have an EMT on call.
have more questions?
- Use this email for general questions or to reach your Conference Chairs.
- Use this email for questions about Registration.
- Use this email for questions about the First Chapter Contest.
- Use this email with questions about the classes or breakout sessions.
- Use this email for questions about the query or manuscript consultations.
- Use this email to reach our Thursday Workshops team.
- Use this email to reach our bookstore with questions.
- Use this email for questions on advertising for vendors.
- To report an incident of harassment, or for questions about our policy, please email us here.